Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Content and structure area
Scope and content
There are 2 runs of cards in this series grouped under wood index and sorting cards.
Wood index contains seven groups of cards. Groups are:
1. wood specimen - approximately 360 cards arranged by family and genus. Some with more than one species.
2. conifers - approximately 15 cards arranged by genus.
3. WA, - approximately 23 cards. All Eucalyptus arranged species.
4. other countries - 102 cards arranged by family with several genera and species on each.
5. permanent slides - 72 cards arranged by family some with several genera and species. Note: no Eucalyptus listed (Myrtaceae).
6. photo - 10 cards with details o how to develop photos.
7. not titles - 8 small cards with details of stains and steralisers (for preparing slides)
A typed list of 170 samples by genus and species is annotated CSIRO Mr Gay Oct 1954.
Sorting cards are 204 x 128mm (8x5 inches) designed in the Paragon Copy-chat system and pre-printed. They are of 2 types:
1. Majority are white, headed Wood Identification Features and marked DFP form 77 [CSIRO Division of Forest Products]
2. A few are buff and marked DFP form 83.
There are approximately 500 cards filed in 2 groups with sections with headers.:
1. Hardwoods with headers for Queensland, NSW, Tas, NZ, New Guinea, Malay, India, East Indies, Asia, Europe, USA, South Africa, W. Trop Africa, Euc, Euc WA.
2. Families with headers for Australian and NEI.
At the front of the sorting cards are approximately a dozen plain cards detailing chemicals and processes for preparing samples.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Fenner School of Environment and Society (Creator)