Deposit Z116 - Printing and Kindred Industries Union, South Australian Branch deposit 2

Open original digital objects

Identity area

Reference code

AU NBAC Z116

Title

Printing and Kindred Industries Union, South Australian Branch deposit 2

Date(s)

  • 1913 - 1986 (Creation)

Level of description

Deposit

Extent and medium

53.1 m (298 boxes)

Context area

Name of creator

(1966 - 1995)

Biographical history

The Printing & Kindred Industries Union was formed on 6 July 1966 after the amalgamation of the Printing Industry Employees' Union of Australia and the Amalgamated Printing Trades Employees' Union of Australia. In 1986 the PKIU amalgamated with the Federated Photo Engravers Photo-Lithographers & Photogravure Employees' Association of Australia, and in 1992 with the Victorian Printers Operatives' Union. It was re-registered and retained its name until 1995 when the PKIU amalgamated with the Automotive Food Metals and Engineering Union to form the Automotive Food Metals Engineering Printing & Kindred Industries Union, otherwise known as the Australian Manufacturing Workers' Union.

Name of creator

(c. 1858 - c. 1968)

Biographical history

The Advertiser Chapel reformed on 27 March 1863 and it is likely that it was first formed in 1858 when the South Australian Advertiser newspaper started publication. After the South Australian Typographical Society was established in 1874, members of the Chapel were required to be members of the Society, and of its successors the Printing Industry Employees' Union and the Printing and Kindred Industries Union, South Australian Branch.

Name of creator

(c. 1909 - 1986)

Biographical history

The Union, which operated since 1909, was registered federally as the Federated Process Engravers Photo-Lithographers & Photogravure Employees' Association of Australia in 1942. It was deregistered in 1943 and reinstated under the same name later that same year. Its name changed to the Federated Photo Engravers Photo Lithographers & Photogravure Employees' Association of Australia in 1952, and in 1986 amalgamated with the Printing and Kindred Industries Union.

Name of creator

(c. 1913 - c. 1969)

Biographical history

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This deposit continues from deposit N12. Minute books, office files and miscellaneous subject files, financial records, membership cards and records, circulars, industry material and awards, contribution book, correspondence, reports and rules. Includes records of predecessors the Advertiser Chapel, the South Australian Typographical Sick Benefit Society, and the Federated Photo Engravers, Photo-Lithographers and Photogravure Employees Association.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Box list

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

NBAC deposits N69; Z482; E92; M42; N12; E216; T39; T43; T52; T54; E91; M23; N246; E116; M33; N318; M22

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description on 18 December 2012

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

digital objects (Master) rights area

digital objects (Reference) rights area

digital objects (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area