Paterson, Laing and Bruce Limited deposit 1
- 1854 - 1934 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
In 1876 John Paterson bought out partners Henry C Palmer and Briscoe Ray in the company Paterson, Ray, Palmer and Company and with James Robert Laing (previously with Laing and Webster) as partner, formed Paterson, Laing and Company. A London office was established in 1878 in Australian Avenue, St Giles without Cripplegate. In 1879, John Monro Bruce (resident partner of George Webster and Company) became a partner with the firm assuming the name Paterson, Laing and Bruce. In 1893 the partnership included Paterson, John Robert Laing (son of James), JM Bruce, George Williamson Bruce, John Glaister Paterson, and Thomas James Amour Clark. In 1897, JM Bruce acquired the other interests and converted the business to a limited liability company, Paterson, Laing and Bruce Limited. The company was registered in London in January 1898 with two branch houses in Melbourne and London. In 1899 the businesses Lark, Sons and Company Limited (Sydney) and R Lewis and Sons (Hobart) were acquired and a Sydney office established. In July 1901 the newly formed company Paterson, Laing and Bruce (1901) Limited took over the old company, registered in England, but in November 1903 the name reverted to Paterson, Laing and Bruce Limited. In February 1966, the company merged with Robert Reid and Company Limited to form Paterson, Reid and Bruce Limited, a direct subsidiary of Ralli Australia Proprietry Limited.
Name of creator
In 1860, John Paterson and Henry C Palmer, both partners of JC Young and Company, purchased the business on JC Young's retirement, and renamed it Paterson, Palmer and Company. The business of Ray, Glaister and Company was then purchased and Briscoe Ray became a partner shortly afterwards and the business was then known as Paterson, Ray, Palmer and Company. In 1876 Paterson bought out the other interests and with James Robert Laing (previously with Laing and Webster) as partner, the firm became Paterson, Laing and Company.
Name of creator
The firm was founded by in 1850 by JC Young who set up a small warehouse in Geelong. In 1852 a branch was opened in Ballarat with John Paterson as manager. In 1856 the business moved to Melbourne and Paterson was admitted into partnership with the firm then known as JC Young and Company. In 1858, Henry C Palmer became a partner and on Young's retirement in 1860, Paterson and Palmer purchased the business, renamed Paterson, Palmer and Company.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Presscopy letterbooks, correspondence, legal agreements, and financial records of JC Young and Company, Paterson, Ray, Palmer and Company, Paterson, Laing and Company, and Paterson, Laing and Bruce Limited.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Researchers must sign an access agreement
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Entered by Maggie Shapley, 11 February 2010