Deposit 146 - New Zealand and Australian Land Company Sydney Office deposit

Identity area

Reference code

AU NBAC 146

Title

New Zealand and Australian Land Company Sydney Office deposit

Date(s)

  • 1885 - 1972 (Creation)

Level of description

Deposit

Extent and medium

29.0 m

Context area

Name of creator

(1877 - 1968)

Administrative history

The New Zealand and Australian Land Company Ltd dated its origins to the 1860s when small associations were formed in Scotland and England to acquire pastoral and agricultural lands in New Zealand and Australia. A number of these associates combined and were registered in Scotland as the Cantebury and Otago Association Ltd in 1865, while others amalgamated to form the 'old' New Zealand and Australian Land Company in 1866. In 1877 the two companies were amalgamated and the New Zealand and Australian Land Company Ltd was formed and registered in Scotland on 26 October 1877. The registered office was originally in Glasgow, later Edinburgh, and administrative offices operated in Dunedin and Sydney. At the time of registration, the major portion of the company's interests were in New Zealand. By 1910 nearly all their freehold and leasehold lands were sold to settlers or acquired by the New Zealand Government under a Closer Settlement scheme. In 1939 the only two properties remaining in New Zealand were Hakataramea and Mount Possession. Australian acquisitions increased from 1900 to 1914, when the stations in New Zealand and Australia carried over 1.6 million sheep and 100,000 cattle. However, from 1946 to 1948 the Crown resumed 310, 000 acres of freehold land for Soldier Settlement, reducing the company operation to less than half those of 1914. In 1968, the company was taken over by Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Ltd. The company's tax domicile was removed from Scotland to Australia. From 1970 its properties in Australia were operated as a subsidiary of Dalgety Australia Ltd, and those in New Zealand by Dalgety New Zealand Ltd.

Name of creator

(1947 - 1959)

Administrative history

The company was incorporated on 11 January 1947. Its registered office was at 4 Bridge Street, Sydney. Shareholders were members of the Vickery family and the associated family companies Freehold and Leasehold Lands Pty Ltd and Woorooma West Pastoral Co Pty Ltd. The company operated Gunbar station, south west of Hillston, New South Wales. It was purchased by the New Zealand and Australian Land Company in 1959. Gunbar station was then managed by the subsidiary Gunbar Pty Ltd.

Name of creator

(1932 - 1960)

Administrative history

The company was incorporated on 16 June 1932 under the name Freehold and Leasehold Lands Limited with a registered office at 4 Bridge Street, Sydney. Shareholders were members of the Vickery family. It became a proprietary company on 1 March 1937. The company operated Willandra (1932-60), Glenrock (1932-60), Munderoo West (1932-38), Homeboin (1932-35), Borgara (1938-50), and Mitchell Downs (1932-35) Stations. Mitchell Downs was sold to Woorooma West Pastoral Co Pty Ltd in 1935. The New Zealand and Australian Land Co acquired the company in 1960.

Name of creator

(1933 - 1960)

Administrative history

The company was incorporated on 21 December 1933 with a registered office at 4 Bridge Street, Sydney. It operated Bugilbone (c. 1936-?), Mitchell Downs (1935-60), Keelendi (1935-60) and Grong Grong (1945-1960) stations. It was among the Vickery Family group of companies until it was purchased by the New Zealand and Australian Land (NZAL) Company in 1960. NZAL took over the management of Mitchell Downs and its subsidiary Murromoi Pty Ltd took over Grong Grong and Keelendi Stations.

Name of creator

(1925 - 1950)

Administrative history

The company was incorporated on 28 November 1925 with a registered office at 471 Bourke Street, Melbourne. The principal office of the company in New South Wales was at Hay. The company operated Tchelery Station for the Maclure family who acquired the station from Windouran Pastoral Co Pty Ltd. The company was purchased by the New Zealand and Australian Land Company Limited in 1950 and its subsidiary The Yanko Pty Ltd then took over the management of the station.

Name of creator

(c. 1954 - c. 1970)

Administrative history

The company was a nominee company of the New Zealand and Australian Land Co Ltd.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This deposit comprises records of the Sydney Office, subsidiary companies and stations. It includes lists of stockholders, debenture holders and proprietors; office files; station files; property and land sales records; financial records; wool and shearing records; correspondence; returns and reports; station ledgers 1899-1961; private ledgers 1909-1940; investment ledger 1953-1969; station journals 1952-1970; land registers; station earmarks 1925. Also included are records of other pastoral companies (Merino Estates Pty Ltd, Gunbar Pastoral Co Pty Ltd, Freehold and Leasehold Pty Ltd, Wooroma West Pastoral Co Pty Ltd, Tchelery Pty Ltd) and comprise of memorandum and articles of association; minutes; share registers; stock reports; financial records; legal records; station maps and plans.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Item list

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

NBAC N39; NBAC Z153; NBAC N262

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description on 24 August 2011

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area