Deposit N39 - Dalgety Limited London Office deposit 2

Identity area

Reference code

AU NBAC N39

Title

Dalgety Limited London Office deposit 2

Date(s)

  • 1864 - 1972 (Creation)

Level of description

Deposit

Extent and medium

6.3 m

Context area

Name of creator

(1884 - 1961)

Administrative history

Dalgety and Company Limited was registered in London on 29 April 1884. The company was a joint-stock company incorporating firms which were actively managed by Frederick Gonnerman Dalgety in partnership with other trading individuals. Dalgety became the company's first chairman of directors and remained the largest shareholder until his death. Australian branches were opened in Perth (1889), Albany (1890), Rockhampton (1891), Brisbane (1894), Townsville (1896), Adelaide (1897), Albury (1908), Wagga (1923) and sub-branches in smaller centres. A Superintendent was appointed for New Zealand in 1908 and for Australia in 1914. From 1884 to the Second World War, the company operated as merchants in rural areas, wool brokers, stock and station and shipping agents in Australia and New Zealand. In 1927 Dalgety and Co Ltd acquired the business of W C Hunter in Kenya. On 22 November 1961 the company merged with the New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency Company Limited to form Dalgety & New Zealand Loan Limited.

Name of creator

(1915 - 1961)

Administrative history

The company was founded in London in 1915. It traded with East Africa, and was absorbed into New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Co Ltd in 1961.

Name of creator

(1865 - 1961)

Administrative history

The company was registered in England in April 1865. In July 1893 the company suspended business and was again, after reconstruction, incorporated on 10 May 1894. The company's share registers were in London, Melbourne and Wellington. The Australian Head Office and a branch was established in Melbourne in 1875 and in 1880 commenced wool selling activities. Australian branches and agencies were also set up in Sydney (1876), Brisbane and Rockhampton (1884), Adelaide (1886), Townsville (1898), Albury, Longreach, Geelong (1956). In 1889 the Australian operations were separated from those of New Zealand, with David Elder becoming the first general manager for Australia. On the retirement of Elder in 1903 a Local Board of Advice was established to advise and support senior management in Australia. At the same time the Australian Branch was formed. The number of sub-branches and agencies grew after 1945. The company also had extensive interests in New Zealand and in South Africa (1930-1960). The company acquired a number of smaller firms and also formed new subsidiaries; New Zealand Loan Properties (Australia) Pty Ltd (1952); New Zealand Land Nominees Pty Ltd (1957); New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency (Produce) Ltd (1957). In 1961 the company merged with Dalgety and Company Ltd to form Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Ltd.

Name of creator

(1877 - 1968)

Administrative history

The New Zealand and Australian Land Company Ltd dated its origins to the 1860s when small associations were formed in Scotland and England to acquire pastoral and agricultural lands in New Zealand and Australia. A number of these associates combined and were registered in Scotland as the Cantebury and Otago Association Ltd in 1865, while others amalgamated to form the 'old' New Zealand and Australian Land Company in 1866. In 1877 the two companies were amalgamated and the New Zealand and Australian Land Company Ltd was formed and registered in Scotland on 26 October 1877. The registered office was originally in Glasgow, later Edinburgh, and administrative offices operated in Dunedin and Sydney. At the time of registration, the major portion of the company's interests were in New Zealand. By 1910 nearly all their freehold and leasehold lands were sold to settlers or acquired by the New Zealand Government under a Closer Settlement scheme. In 1939 the only two properties remaining in New Zealand were Hakataramea and Mount Possession. Australian acquisitions increased from 1900 to 1914, when the stations in New Zealand and Australia carried over 1.6 million sheep and 100,000 cattle. However, from 1946 to 1948 the Crown resumed 310, 000 acres of freehold land for Soldier Settlement, reducing the company operation to less than half those of 1914. In 1968, the company was taken over by Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Ltd. The company's tax domicile was removed from Scotland to Australia. From 1970 its properties in Australia were operated as a subsidiary of Dalgety Australia Ltd, and those in New Zealand by Dalgety New Zealand Ltd.

Name of creator

(c. 1934 - 1956)

Administrative history

The company was founded by Henry Franklin, a coal merchant who later became a miller at Ivel Mill, Biggleswade, in 1883. Henry Franklin Ltd, flour miller and agricultural merchant was bought by Dalgety in 1959 to form Dalgety Franklin Ltd (1959 - 1965).

Name of creator

(1927 - 1961)

Administrative history

The company of corn, seed and agricultural merchants was established in London in 1927. In 1961 the company was bought by Dalgety Franklin Ltd.

Name of creator

(c. 1910 - 1957)

Administrative history

Samuel Page & Son Ltd was a London-based provisions trader, especially with East Africa and New Zealand. The firm was bought by Dalgety in 1957.

Name of creator

(c. 1948 - 1963)

Administrative history

Geo H Penney & Co Ltd floated in London in 1948 when New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency Co Ltd took up the majority shareholding. New Zealand Loan's export department was transferred to it in 1951. The company operated as exporters and traders in India, South Africa, USA, Australia and New Zealand. It was sold to Dalgety's in 1963.

Name of creator

(c. 1925 - c. 1964)

Administrative history

The original firm of Norfolk millers and agricultural merchants, was founded in 1780 by William Smith. The company is listed in Kelly's 1925 Directory as William Smith & Son (Dickleburgh) Ltd. millers (oil), corn, coal & seed merchants (Arthur Osborne Dent, managing director). The company became a subsidiary of Dalgety Franklin Ltd by 1964.

Name of creator

(1852 - 1964)

Administrative history

The London and Liverpool company of export merchants was established since 1852, with mainly South African and New Zealand interests. The company voluntarily wound up in 1964.

Name of creator

(c. 1933 - c. 1958)

Administrative history

The firm was a family-run meat company located in Smithfield, London.

Name of creator

(c. 1948 - 1964)

Administrative history

The company from Spalding, Lincolnshire were vegetable and agricultural produce sellers, mostly in the sale of potatoes.

Name of creator

(c. 1917 - c. 1944)

Administrative history

The firm of export merchants, E WHITEAWAY & CO, began as a partnership between Edward George Lang Whiteaway, Edward Dudley Carpenter, George Stanley Proud, and Edward John Whiteaway. On 18 August 1944 George Stanley Proud retired and the firm was reorganised as E Whiteaway & Co.

Name of creator

(c. 1952 - 1963)

Administrative history

The company of barley merchants of Royston, Hertfordshire was bought by Henry Franklin Limited in 1963.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The deposit consists of Dalgety Limited records including F G Dalgety's letterbooks, financial records, board and share-holders' minutes, and registers of directors; New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency Co Ltd records consisting of board minutes, articles of association, and finance committee minutes; New Zealand & Australian Land Co Ltd records consisting of Secretary's records and correspondence, death duties, reports, miscellaneous items and printed material. Also in the deposit are board minutes and share records of various London based companies including the proposed North British Australian Mortgage and Agency Corporation Limited. African Mercantile Co Ltd and E Whiteaway & Co records contain photographs.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Item list

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description on 16 April 2012

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area