Deposit Z153 - Dalgety Australia Limited Head Office deposit 2

Open original digital objects

Identity area

Reference code

AU NBAC Z153

Title

Dalgety Australia Limited Head Office deposit 2

Date(s)

  • 1858 - 2004 (Creation)

Level of description

Deposit

Extent and medium

126 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(1970 - 1983)

Administrative history

In 1970 Dalgety & New Zealand Loan Ltd was reorganized as Dalgety Ltd (UK) and major branch operations were transferred to locally incorporated companies in Australia and New Zealand. The Australian operations of Dalgety Limited were transferred to Dalgety Australia Limited on 30 June 1970. The company's name was changed to Dalgety Farmers Limited on 8 December 1983.

Name of creator

(1884 - 1961)

Administrative history

Dalgety and Company Limited was registered in London on 29 April 1884. The company was a joint-stock company incorporating firms which were actively managed by Frederick Gonnerman Dalgety in partnership with other trading individuals. Dalgety became the company's first chairman of directors and remained the largest shareholder until his death. Australian branches were opened in Perth (1889), Albany (1890), Rockhampton (1891), Brisbane (1894), Townsville (1896), Adelaide (1897), Albury (1908), Wagga (1923) and sub-branches in smaller centres. A Superintendent was appointed for New Zealand in 1908 and for Australia in 1914. From 1884 to the Second World War, the company operated as merchants in rural areas, wool brokers, stock and station and shipping agents in Australia and New Zealand. In 1927 Dalgety and Co Ltd acquired the business of W C Hunter in Kenya. On 22 November 1961 the company merged with the New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency Company Limited to form Dalgety & New Zealand Loan Limited.

Name of creator

(1865 - 1961)

Administrative history

The company was registered in England in April 1865. In July 1893 the company suspended business and was again, after reconstruction, incorporated on 10 May 1894. The company's share registers were in London, Melbourne and Wellington. The Australian Head Office and a branch was established in Melbourne in 1875 and in 1880 commenced wool selling activities. Australian branches and agencies were also set up in Sydney (1876), Brisbane and Rockhampton (1884), Adelaide (1886), Townsville (1898), Albury, Longreach, Geelong (1956). In 1889 the Australian operations were separated from those of New Zealand, with David Elder becoming the first general manager for Australia. On the retirement of Elder in 1903 a Local Board of Advice was established to advise and support senior management in Australia. At the same time the Australian Branch was formed. The number of sub-branches and agencies grew after 1945. The company also had extensive interests in New Zealand and in South Africa (1930-1960). The company acquired a number of smaller firms and also formed new subsidiaries; New Zealand Loan Properties (Australia) Pty Ltd (1952); New Zealand Land Nominees Pty Ltd (1957); New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency (Produce) Ltd (1957). In 1961 the company merged with Dalgety and Company Ltd to form Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Ltd.

Name of creator

(1877 - 1968)

Administrative history

The New Zealand and Australian Land Company Ltd dated its origins to the 1860s when small associations were formed in Scotland and England to acquire pastoral and agricultural lands in New Zealand and Australia. A number of these associates combined and were registered in Scotland as the Cantebury and Otago Association Ltd in 1865, while others amalgamated to form the 'old' New Zealand and Australian Land Company in 1866. In 1877 the two companies were amalgamated and the New Zealand and Australian Land Company Ltd was formed and registered in Scotland on 26 October 1877. The registered office was originally in Glasgow, later Edinburgh, and administrative offices operated in Dunedin and Sydney. At the time of registration, the major portion of the company's interests were in New Zealand. By 1910 nearly all their freehold and leasehold lands were sold to settlers or acquired by the New Zealand Government under a Closer Settlement scheme. In 1939 the only two properties remaining in New Zealand were Hakataramea and Mount Possession. Australian acquisitions increased from 1900 to 1914, when the stations in New Zealand and Australia carried over 1.6 million sheep and 100,000 cattle. However, from 1946 to 1948 the Crown resumed 310, 000 acres of freehold land for Soldier Settlement, reducing the company operation to less than half those of 1914. In 1968, the company was taken over by Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Ltd. The company's tax domicile was removed from Scotland to Australia. From 1970 its properties in Australia were operated as a subsidiary of Dalgety Australia Ltd, and those in New Zealand by Dalgety New Zealand Ltd.

Name of creator

(1937 - 1948)

Administrative history

The company was established to takeover the business of Schute Bell & Co Ltd and Keith, Badgery and Lumby Ltd as of January 1937. It was registered in New South Wales on 1 April 1937. In the amalgamation all the shares of Schute Bell & Co Ltd were acquired by the new company. The company was acquired by the New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency Co Ltd in 1948.

Name of creator

(1889 - 1980)

Administrative history

The woolbroking firm, Winchcombe, Carson & Co, was founded in March 1889 by Frederick Earle Winchcombe, Duncan Carson, C L Wallis and E J Turton. In September 1899 the firm was incorporated in New South Wales as Winchcombe, Carson & Co Ltd and changed its name to Winchcombe, Carson Ltd in 1910. The company was taken over by Industrial Equity Limited on 27 February 1980.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

All types of company records including annual reports, staff manuals and directories, press releases, newspaper clippings, Prof Hartwell's unpublished history of Dalgety & Co, Yennora Wool Centre files, Shipping Division files, General Manager's subject and working files, legal records, wool records, plans, photographs, negatives, slides and albums, certificates and awards, salaries and wages records, accountant and auditors conference papers, correspondence including with Nairobi Office, Kenya (1946). The deposit also consists of records for the company's Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne branches; Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Ltd, Horsham branch; Dalgety Limited, Deniliquin; Shute Bell Badgery Lumby Ltd; Winchcombe Carson Limited. Also includes a collection of photographs, press cuttings and a prospectus from Whale Industries Ltd from which Dalgety Australia Ltd purchased Gurley Station near Moree, New South Wales.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Item list

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description on 16 April 2012

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

digital objects (Master) rights area

digital objects (Reference) rights area

digital objects (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area