Deposit Z675 - Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union Construction and General Division deposit 3

Identity area

Reference code

Z675

Title

Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union Construction and General Division deposit 3

Date(s)

  • 1902 - 2006 (Creation)

Level of description

Deposit

Extent and medium

9 boxes and 130 posters

Context area

Name of creator

(1925 - 1992)

Biographical history

The Operative Plasterers' Federation of Australia initially consisted of an amalgamation of the New South Wales and Tasmanian plasterers' unions. It changed its name to the Operative Plasterers' and Plaster Workers' Federation of Australia in 1960. In 1963 the South Australian, Western Australian and Queensland plastering unions joined the Federation but the two Victorian plasterers' unions remained separate. The union amalgamated with other construction and mining unions in 1992 to eventually become part of the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union in 1993.

Name of creator

(1850 - 1945, 1950 - 1992)

Biographical history

Reflecting its status as a branch of its English parent union, this society was originally registered as the Australian District of Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners in 1911 though it had existed as an affiliate of the British union since the 1850s. By the end of 1922 the name had been amended to become the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners of Australia. It operated until the end of the Second World War when its name was changed to the Building Workers' Industrial Union of Australia in 1945. The Building Workers' Industrial Union of Australia functioned for just three more years until it was deregistered in 1948. The name Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners was taken over by a rival, anti-Communist breakaway group and federally registered in 1950, then was itself deregistered in 1951. Reforming in 1952, it eventually amalgamated with a number of unions in 1992 to form the Federation of Industrial Manufacturing and Engineering Employees.

Name of creator

(1945 - 1991)

Biographical history

The Building Workers' Industrial Union of Australia formed from the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners of Australia in 1945 but was deregistered in 1948. An anti-communist faction of the union established a new Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners in 1950 which eventually became part of the Australian Workers' Union. The Building Workers' Industrial Union formally reconstituted in 1962. Members of the Federated Bricklayers' Association of Australia (deregistered 1950) and the Slaters Tilers Shinglers and Roof Fixers Union of Australia (deregistered 1976) also joined. In 1991 the BWIU amalgamated with the timber unions to become the Australian Timber and Allied Industries Union and Building Workers' Industrial Union (ATAIU & BWIU) Amalgamated Union and to eventually be part of the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union in 1993.

Name of creator

(1992 -2018)

Biographical history

The Constuction Forestry Mining and Energy Union is the result of a series of amalgamations during the early 1990s. Prior to amalgamation there were numerous unions spread across construction, forestry, mining and energy industries. Those unions amalgamated along industry lines to form each of the divisions of the CFMEU. Each division operates autonomously, with its own membership, executive, resources, industry policies and campaigns. These divisions date as far back as the mid-nineteenth century and include such notable unions as the Australasian Coal and Shale Employees' Federation (the Miners' Federation), the Building Workers' Industrial Union of Australia, the Australian Timber Workers' Union, the Federated Furnishing Trade Society of Australasia, the Operative Plasterers' Federation of Australia, the Operative Painters' and Decorators' Union of Australia, and the Federated Engine Drivers' and Firemen's Association of Australasia.

Name of creator

(1875 - 1925)

Biographical history

The United Plasterers' Society formed in Sydney in 1875 and was also referred to as the Sydney Plasterers' Association. By 1887 it was known as the Australasian Association of Operative Plasterers, New South Wales Section and this was the name used when its rules were registered in 1897. On registration under the New South Wales Trade Union Act in 1903 the name changed to the New South Wales Association of Operative Plasterers. In 1925 it amalgamated with the Plasterers' Union in Hobart to become the Operative Plasterers' Federation of Australia.

Name of creator

(c. 1856 - 1943)

Biographical history

The Society existed from at least 1856 and had branches in Sydney, Newtown, Newcastle, Lithgow, North Sydney, Goulburn, Granville, Burwood and Canberra (from 1924 coinciding with the construction of Parliament House). It was part of the Federated Bricklayers' Association of Australia and its members joined the Building Workers' Industrial Union when it formed in 1945.

Name of creator

(1853 - 1918)

Biographical history

The union was initially formed in 1853 as the United Operative Masons and was later known as the Friendly Society of Operative Stonemasons of New South Wales, before the more common name, the Operative Stonemasons' Society of New South Wales was used. It became the New South Wales branch of the Operative Stonemasons' Society of Australia in 1918.

Name of creator

(1908 - 1992)

Biographical history

The Federated Engine Drivers' and Firemen's Association of Australasia dates back to local engine drivers' unions on Australian goldfields but was not registered federally until 1908. Predecessors include the Newcastle Colliery Engine Drivers' Union (1889-1921), the Newcastle Crane Employees' Union (1893-1915), the Shore Engine Drivers' and Firemen's Union of New South Wales (1901-1908), the Steam Crane Engine Drivers' Society of New South Wales (1901-1910), the New England Engine Drivers' Association (amalgamated in 1908), the Amalgamated Engine Drivers' Association of Tasmania and the United Certificated Engine Drivers' Association of Victoria. It was deregistered in 1949 but formed again in 1950 under the same name. It was amalgamated with the Construction Forestry and Mining Employees' Union and the Operative Plasterers' and Plaster Workers' Federation of Australia in 1992 to form the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union. The union represented engine drivers and firemen, crane drivers, dynamo and boiler attendants, forklift drivers and plant operators in hospitals, abattoirs, dockyards, brickworks, mines, power stations and factories.

Name of creator

(1915 - 1993)

Biographical history

The Federated House and Ship Painters, Paperhangers and Decorators Employees' Association of Australasia became the Operative Painters and Decorators of Australasia in 1915. In 1918 it changed its name to the Operative Painters' and Decorators' Union of Australia. Seventy-five years later, the union amalgamated to form the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union in 1993.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This is a collection of material from predecessor unions to the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union particularly from New South Wales including: the United Plasterers' Society/Operative Plasterers' Federation, the United Operative Bricklayers' Trade Society, the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners, the Operative Stonemasons' Society, the Operative Painters and Decorators Union, the Federated Engine Drivers' and Firemen's Association, and the Building Workers' Industrial Union including files of Frank Purse, Ron Monaghan, Brian Miller (May Day), Warren Baker, newsclippings relating to amalgamations and the Builders' Labourers' Federation, stickers, posters and printed material. The posters are mainly from the CFMEU National Office and New South Wales Branch, the Builders' Labourers' Federation and the Building Trades Group of Unions and date from the 1970s to 2006.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description 4 February 2013

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area