Deposit 75 - Australian Mercantile Land and Finance London Office deposit 1

Identity area

Reference code



Australian Mercantile Land and Finance London Office deposit 1


  • 1865 - 1958 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

3.6 m

Context area

Name of creator

(1863 - 1981)

Administrative history

This company was registered in England on 5 November 1863 as the Australian Mortgage Land and Finance Company Limited. The company's first Australian Office was opened in Brisbane in the same year. The company carried on business as wool brokers, pastoral finance, stock and property agents and as a pastoral company in NSW, Victoria, the Riverina and Queensland. In 1865 the business moved to Victoria with the purchase of the firm of Gibbs Ronald and Company of Melbourne and Geelong, the Australian branch of the London firm of Richard Gibbs and Company. The partners of the two firms continued their work in the new company with the Australian branch managed by R B Ronald in Geelong and by Sir James MacBain in Melbourne. Richard Gibbs and Byron L Ronald joined the London Board. In November 1910 the company changed its name to the Australian Mercantile Land and Finance Company Limited (AML&F Co Ltd). In 1971 AML&F Co Ltd was taken over by the UK firm Wood Hall Trust Limited. The company operated under the name AML&F Co Ltd until Elders IXL took over Wood Hall Trust Limited in 1981. Elders Pastoral Division was established incorporating all the pastoral interests of the AML&F Co Ltd.

Name of creator

(1887 - 1898)

Administrative history

The Directors of the Australian Mercantile Land & Finance (AML&F) Company Limited promoted the Freehold Trust Company of Australia in London in 1887 to lend money on mortgages of freehold land. The new company acted as a finance subsidiary of the AML&F Co Ltd with shares held by the British public. Its directors were the same as the AML&F Co Ltd. The Freehold Trust Company of Australia served to release part of the funds of the AML&F Co Ltd until this position became untenable when profits declined and in September 1898 the company was liquidated.

Name of creator

(1924 - 1937)

Administrative history

The Australian Sheep Farms Company Limited was promoted at the end of 1924 by R H Caird, of the Australian Mercantile Land & Finance (AML&F) Company, to purchase three New South Wales properties: Dunlop, Toorale and Nocoleche, to which Ringorah was later added. The new company was floated in London and backed by the same Directors as the AML&F Company. The drought in 1927, along with further collapse in wool prices and dry seasons, reduced the company's profits and it went into voluntary liquidation in December 1937.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Correspondence, legal and financial records, statistics relating to company properties in Australia, station reports, Melbourne and Geelong ledgers, maps and plans. Also includes records relating to Freehold Trust Company of Australia Limited consisting of minutes (1888-1899), agreements, list of shareholders (188-1898), details of debenture repayments and attendance books; records of Australian Sheep Farms Limited consisting of minutes (1925-1939), register of members, register of directors, share transfer journal (1936-1938), register of mortgages and bonds (1930-1937).


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

NBAC 6; NBAC 99; NBAC 133; NBAC 137; NBAC 162; NBAC M3; NBAC N110; NBAC Z177; NBAC 97; NBAC 132

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description on 19 August 2011




Accession area